At Meridian, we believe that an excellent education thrives in an increasingly diverse and inclusive school community. For this reason, we are committed to offering an accessible educational program for mission-appropriate students, regardless of a family’s ability to pay the full cost of tuition.
The Meridian School maintains a philosophy that requires active participation of a student’s entire family in funding this educational opportunity. However, we understand that investing in your child’s educational foundation requires a significant financial commitment. In order to make our program more accessible, Meridian grants awards to students based upon demonstrated need. Currently, our tuition assistance program supports 26% of our student body, and the average, annual tuition for an award recipient is $13,300.
To learn more about financing a Meridian education, please refer to the information included below.
Tuition, Fees & Other Expenses Financing a Meridian Education
Tuition for the 2017-2018 school year is $22,263 (K-2) and $22,463 (3-5). The difference in tuition cost reflects the increased cost of field trips for the upper grades. Tuition for the 2018-2019 year will be announced by The Meridian School’s Board of Trustees in early February 2018.
Fees and expenses not covered by the cost of tuition include:
- Extended Day fees. There are two enrollment options; full-time=$3,600/year and part-time=$25/day. Visit the Extended Day page for more details. Tuition assistance recipients are eligible for fee assistance if enrolled in Extended Day full-time. When granted, fee assistance for Extended Day will be of an equal percentage to a family’s tuition assistance award.
- After-school enrichment classes. Fees range from $180-$370/class. Tuition assistance recipients may enroll in two enrichment classes per year at a discounted rate (of an equal percentage to their family’s tuition assistance award).
- Tickets to The Meridian School Auction, Fall Festival and intermediate drama productions.
Applying for Tuition Assitance
Per National Association of Independent Schools’ guidelines, Meridian expects each family to bear the primary responsibility for financing a student’s education to the extent to which it is able.
All Meridian families are able to select from one of the following tuition payment plans upon enrollment each year.
Payment Plan Options & Due Dates*
- 1 payment, due June 20th
- 4 payments, due on the 20th of June, August, October and January
- 10 payments, due on the 20th of each month from May to February
*families admitted after June 20th will be offered payment plans with different due dates.
Families requiring financial support may apply for tuition assistance. Individual circumstances vary and affect a family’s need. Income, investments, debts, multiple households, medical expenses, siblings’ school tuition, and single-income households due to caring for nonschool-aged children or aging family members are some of the many factors that affect a tuition assistance decision. The table below illustrates the average award by income level for students enrolled in the 2017-2018 school year.
|Gross Income Range
||Percentage of Award Recipients
||Range of Awards
Marilyn Easton Endowment Scholarship
Meridian uses School & Student Services by the National Association of Independent School (SSS by NAIS) to establish criteria for receiving tuition assistance. Actual award amounts are based on need, available funds and number of applicants for tuition assistance. Currently, 11% percent of Meridian’s annual budget is devoted to tuition assistance.
Applications for tuition assistance are available online directly through Ravenna’s SSS portal. Ravenna is the online system that your family will utilize to apply for admission to The Meridian School.
The following steps outline the application process, required documents, and timeline.
- Starting Oct. 2, 2017, go to Ravenna’s SSS portal.
- Create an account if you are a new user, and then follow the “Complete your Parents’ Financial Statement (PFS)” link and begin your application.
- Submit and pay for the PFS. The fee is $49.00. Fee waiver requests can be made within the PFS online system. Please be sure to list The Meridian School (code #5738) as a recipient when submitting your application.
- Upload copies of the required documents (listed below) to your SSS account or email to Meridian’s Chief Financial Officer and Tuition Assistance Committee Chair, Pam Jones.
- Submit the PFS and all additional required documents by Jan. 19, 2018.
Additional required documents:
- 2016 income statements. This includes W-2s, unemployment statements, and Social Security income statements.
- 2016 IRS Form 1040 and relevant schedules. We also ask that business owners and those in partnerships include a Schedule C, Schedule E, Form 1120, and or K-1.
- 2016 IRS Form 4506-T. Complete lines 1-4 and sign. Do not submit the form to the IRS.
- 2017 tax returns upon request
Please note: families must complete a new application each year.
Understanding Your Family Report
After your Parents’ Financial Statement (PFS) has been received and processed by SSS, you can view your Family Report in the Parents’ Financial Statement Online. The Family Report shows you how SSS estimates the amount your family can contribute to educational expenses (your “Estimated Family Contribution”). Reviewing the Family Report can help you understand the information that schools may reference as they make tuition assistance decisions. Click here to learn how SSS estimates your family contribution.
Established by The Meridian School’s Board of Trustees, the Marilyn Easton Endowment Fund provides scholarships for underrepresented students of color demonstrating significant financial need. Scholarship recipients must qualify for awards of $12,000 (50% of the cost of annual tuition) or more.
The Fund was established with the purpose of increasing access to a Meridian education and furthering our commitment to equity and inclusion by creating an economically and racially diverse school community.
The fund has exceeded $2 million, $500,000+ of which was directly contributed by members of Meridian’s donor community.
If you believe your child(ren) may qualify for an endowment scholarship, please indicate this when completing your tuition assistance application via SSS in the parent statement section.