Tuition, Fees & Other Expenses Financing a Meridian Education
Tuition for the 2017-2018 school year is $22,263 (K-2) and $22,463 (3-5). The difference in tuition cost reflects the increased cost of field trips for the upper grades. Tuition for the 2018-2019 year will be announced by The Meridian School’s Board of Trustees in early February 2018.
Fees and expenses not covered by the cost of tuition include:
- Extended Day fees. There are two enrollment options; full-time=$3,600/year and part-time=$25/day. Visit the Extended Day page for more details. Tuition assistance recipients are eligible for fee assistance if enrolled in Extended Day full-time. When granted, fee assistance for Extended Day will be of an equal percentage to a family’s tuition assistance award.
- After-school enrichment classes. Fees range from $180-$370/class. Tuition assistance recipients may enroll in two enrichment classes per year at a discounted rate (of an equal percentage to their family’s tuition assistance award).
- Tickets to The Meridian School Auction, Fall Festival and intermediate drama productions.
Applying for Tuition Assistance
We recognize that the cost of a Meridian education is a factor for every family regardless of income level. We also believe that each family bears the primary responsibility for financing their child’s education to the extent to which it is able. To help families plan their own finances, Meridian offers the following payment plans:
Payment Plan Options & Due Dates*
- 1 payment, due June 20th
- 4 payments, due on the 20th of June, August, October and January
- 10 payments, due on the 20th of each month from May to February
*families admitted after June 20th will be offered payment plans with different due dates.
If a family needs greater help in financing their child’s education, Meridian also offers a tuition assistance program. Individual circumstances vary and affect a family’s need. The number of children in a family, income, investments, debts, multiple households, medical expenses, siblings’ school tuition, and single-income households due to caring for nonschool-aged children or aging family members are some of the many factors that affect a tuition assistance decision. Please take a look at our list of frequently asked questions to see how specific circumstances may impact the calculation of your family’s award. The table below illustrates the average award by income level for students enrolled in the 2017-2018 school year.
|Gross Income Range
||Percentage of Award Recipients
||Range of Awards
Marilyn Easton Endowment Scholarship
Meridian uses best practice tool, School & Student Services (SSS), a needs analysis system utilized by over 2,000 schools nationwide to establish criteria for receiving tuition assistance. Actual award amounts are determined by Meridian, and based on need, available funds and number of applicants for tuition assistance. Currently, 11% percent of Meridian’s annual budget is devoted to tuition assistance.
Applications for tuition assistance are available online directly through Ravenna’s SSS portal. Ravenna is the online system that your family will utilize to apply for admission to The Meridian School.
We strongly encourage families to begin the tuition assistance application process several weeks in advance of our January 19th deadline. In addition to required documentation, the system will ask you to provide detailed information regarding your family’s monthly and annual budget (sum of expenses paid for extracurricular activities, groceries, vacations, healthcare premiums etc.) Here are some resources that may prove helpful as you prepare for and begin the application process:
The following steps outline the application process, required documents, and timeline.
- Starting Oct. 2, 2017, go to Ravenna’s SSS portal.
- Create an account if you are a new user, and then follow the “Complete your Parents’ Financial Statement (PFS)” link and begin your application.
- Submit and pay for the PFS. The fee is $49.00. Fee waiver requests can be made within the PFS online system. Please be sure to list The Meridian School (code #5738) as a recipient when submitting your application.
- Upload copies of the required documents (listed below) to your SSS account or email to Meridian’s Chief Financial Officer and Tuition Assistance Committee Chair, Pam Jones.
- Submit the PFS and all additional required documents by Jan. 19, 2018.
Additional required documents:
- 2016 income statements. This includes W-2s, unemployment statements, and Social Security income statements.
- 2016 IRS Form 1040 and relevant schedules. We also ask that business owners and those in partnerships include a Schedule C, Schedule E, Form 1120, and or K-1.
- 2016 IRS Form 4506-T. Complete lines 1-4 and sign. Do not submit the form to the IRS.
- 2017 tax returns upon request
Please note: families must complete a new application each year.
Understanding Your Family Report
After your Parents’ Financial Statement (PFS) has been received and processed by SSS, you can view your Family Report in the Parents’ Financial Statement Online. The Family Report shows you how SSS estimates the amount your family can contribute to educational expenses (your “Estimated Family Contribution”). Reviewing the Family Report can help you understand the information that schools may reference as they make tuition assistance decisions. Click here to learn how SSS estimates your family contribution.
Established by The Meridian School’s Board of Trustees, the Marilyn Easton Endowment Fund provides scholarships for underrepresented students of color demonstrating significant financial need. Scholarship recipients must qualify for awards of $12,000 (50% of the cost of annual tuition) or more.
The Fund was established with the purpose of increasing access to a Meridian education and furthering our commitment to equity and inclusion by creating an economically and racially diverse school community.
The fund has exceeded $2 million, $500,000+ of which was directly contributed by members of Meridian’s donor community.
If you believe your child(ren) may qualify for an endowment scholarship, please indicate this when completing your tuition assistance application via SSS in the parent statement section.